SOLICITORS representing the parents of the last man shot dead by the RUC have expressed concern over revelations that 160 witness statements were not passed to the coroner.
The inquest into the death of Pearse Jordan, who was killed by undercover police in west Belfast in 1992, is due to start next month after a series of delays.
On Tuesday the coroner for Greater Belfast John Leckey confirmed that 160 police witness statements had not been disclosed.
In a letter to Madden and Finucane solicitors, who are acting for the Jordan family, Mr Leckey said: “Last Friday I was advised by an officer from the PSNI that the investigation into the death of Patrick Pearse Jordan generated approximately 240 witness statements.
“I had been provided with about 80 and my firm understanding was that this constituted all the witness statements. I was surprised to learn that this was not the case.”
The coroner said he is to receive a further 160 witness statements as well as copies of radio transmissions and notebook entries.
He added that the Crown Solicitor’s Office will provide the family’s solicitors with copies of the documents.