This section of our website is for general guidance only. You must contact our firm to obtain legal advice.
When you have been arrested
If you are arrested you have the right to:
- free legal advice at the police station
- have someone notified that you are in custody
- be given a copy of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act Codes of Practice
- remain silent and say “no comment” in a police interview
- see a doctor if you have injuries or feel ill
You can ask to speak to a solicitor straight away. The police may say that it will be quicker without, but this is unlikely to be in your best interests.