A second post-mortem examination will be carried out on the body of a County Antrim man who died in Ibiza more than a week ago.

Alan Drennan, 21, was found dead in his hotel room on 19 July, less than 24 hours after arriving on the island.

Alan Drennan Junior died less than 24 hours after arriving in Ibiza on holiday

Alan Drennan Junior died less than 24 hours after arriving in Ibiza on holiday

The exact circumstances of his death are still unclear, but friends have claimed he was beaten by police.

His family wanted a new examination to be carried out after an initial report raised “more questions than answers”.

Mr Drennan’s body is due to arrive in Dublin at 12:30 local time on Tuesday.

His family’s solicitor confirmed that a second post-mortem examination will be held in the Republic of Ireland.

Depending on its results, the Dublin district coroner could then begin an inquest into the death.

Mr Drennan, a mechanic and doorman from Newtownabbey, had gone to Ibiza on holiday with 10 friends.

They have alleged he was beaten by Spanish police when he was taken into custody at Ibiza airport after an incident on the flight to the Mediterranean island.

But solicitor Michael Madden, who is advising the family, has said police have told them they did not arrest him.


While a post-mortem examination has been carried out in Ibiza, delays and errors over paperwork have delayed the release of his body by Spanish authorities and held up the repatriation process.

Full post-mortem results have yet to be released, but the family has been told an initial report found Mr Drennan died as a result of multiple organ failure.

Alan Drennan's father, also named Alan, said last week that his son's death was "every parent's worst nightmare"

Alan Drennan’s father, also named Alan, said last week that his son’s death was “every parent’s worst nightmare”

Mr Madden said senior pathologists in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland told him that conclusion was “strange” and the terminology was “unusual to use in the circumstances”.

Spanish police had said there were no signs of violence on Mr Drennan’s body, but according to his friends he had a number of injuries to his head and upper body.

“He told them that police had arrested him, he was in their detention and couldn’t leave, and that they assaulted him,” Mr Madden said.

“Because of the conflict between the statement given by Spanish police and the statements given by Alan’s friends, the family is concerned they don’t have the full picture.

“One of the ways to try to obtain that information is to have another post-mortem.”

The new post-mortem would give the family “peace of mind, to try to find out forensically what was the cause of death” he added.


A spokesman for the Dublin district coroner’s office said the Irish state pathologist will carry out a new autopsy.

He added that any decision as to whether or not an inquest would be held into Mr Drennan’s death would be made when the results of that examination are obtained.

Mr Drennan’s family “know they have to be strong” as their wait for information on their son’s death continues, Mr Madden said.

“They know, for Alan’s sake, they need to get the answers.

“But the delays that have been caused and the lack of information has been very difficult to deal with.”

Colin Bell, who runs a repatriation charity helping to bring Mr Drennan’s body back from Ibiza, has said arranging the return is proving to be difficult.

“[Spanish authorities] keep coming up with different excuses as to why he can’t come on the next available flight,” he said.

“When you get that dreadful news, all you want is to get your loved one home as soon as possible.”

BBC News