AN APPLICATION to have the trial of a Moyross man accused in connection with the possession of over €145,000 worth of drugs at Ballygrennan, Co Clare, has been refused at Limerick Circuit Court, after the presiding judge was told that the State was not properly notified of the request ahead of the proposed trial date. Judge Carroll Moran set the date for the case of 41-year-old John McCarthy to go ahead on May 8 next. However, following the announcement of the date, Shane O’Callaghan, barrister, Madden and Finucane Solicitors, Belfast, informed the court that it was his belief that papers were served on the State, and therefore was lodging an application to have the trial moved to Dublin.
John O’Sullivan, prosecution for the State, said that this was “another red herring thrown in by the defence to further delay the case”.
Mr O’Sullivan made references to legal arguments over disclosure and procedures, and refuted the claim that the relevant papers had been served informing of the application.
He added that there were an “endless series of applications made by the defence”.
Mr O’Sullivan added that the application was “generated with ether” and that the allegations of an article generated in the Daily Mail and the subsequent investigation, “had no connection to the matters Mr McCarthy had before the court,” adding that he would draft a suitable letter to the defence.
Mr O’Callaghan countered, stating no stone would be left unturned in the pursuit of a defence for John McCarthy.
Judge Carroll Moran said that the case was to proceed on May 8, at Limerick Circuit Court.
The accused, John McCarthy, is to face trial for the alleged possession of over €145,000 worth of drugs.